The One Reason Ted Cruz Won’t Win in 2016
There are many reasons why Sen. Ted Cruz will have a rough time of it… There is one reason why he won’t win.
- Ted Cruz will have a rough time, but could still win as a constitutional conservative, both fiscally and socially.
- Ted Cruz will have a rough time, but could still win appealing to evangelicals.
- Ted Cruz will have a rough time, but could still win with his fiscal policy and belief in balancing the budget.
- Ted Cruz will have a rough time, but could still win with his aversion to corporate welfare.
- Ted Cruz will have a rough time, but could still win wanting to reverse Common Core.
- Ted Cruz will have a rough time, but could still win wanting to abolish the IRS and go to a Flat Tax.
- Ted Cruz will have a rough time, but could still win blocking Net Neutrality.
- Ted Cruz will have a rough time, but could still win repealling Obamacare.
Ted Cruz will have a rough time, but could still win on suggesting we increase and toughen sanctions with Iran, while ending current nuclear talks until Congress approves the outlines of a deal.
So if I agree with many of his positions, why do I not think he can win?
I just spent the evening watching his speech at Liberty University and kept thinking, I like what he is ‘saying’, but why don’t I like ‘him’?
Then I realized it. Because, I’m a businessman. I look at candidates through the lense of what sells. A long time before his troubles, I told people John Edwards would be either 1 or 2 on the 2004 Dem. platform. I felt Romney was the right candidate amongst his peers. Same with GW Bush.
Why? Because… and this is hard to say… they are easy on the eyes.
Us folks who follow politics like junkies are not the norm. While we focus on this stuff, normal people out there don’t focus on elections until they can’t get away from it on TV. And only then, when their bubble is pierced, do they decide on who they ‘like’. ‘Like’ meaning, who they would drink a beer with, or, forgive me ladies, who they find physically attractive.
They don’t focus on the minutia or policies. It’s about gender, race, looks, sound and other identity superficialities.
So… here it is:
Looks count. Ted Cruz’s smile is awkward. He eyes are deep. His nose is… well, he could be Witch Hazels’ younger cousin.
Sound counts. His affect is one of a lecturer. He answers questions with filibusters. For the past seven years America has had a President who has done similar and likely does not have the appetite for four-eight more years of the same.
And THAT is why Ted Cruz won’t win in 2016.