No B.S. Recipes: Zucchini Chips
This is a healthy low carb snack. Enjoy.
- 1 medium zucchini (washed and dried)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Thinly slice the zucchini with a knife or mandolin. I used a mandolin to get really thin slices. My mandolin has three settings (1, 2, and 3) and I used setting #3. If you do use a mandolin, be sure to use the finger guard. Those things are basically razor blades with a handle, you know, so take precautions!
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Add the zucchini slices to the bowl and toss so that each slice is coated with the seasoned oil. Actually, you have to do a little more than just toss the slices. You do have to work at it to get each slice coated. They just naturally want to stick together so you have to coax them a bit, separating the slices and rubbing them with the oil. Just be gentle and don’t break the slices into pieces.
- Place the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheets. You don’t have to space them very far apart since they’re going to shrink up while they cook.
- Bake for 8-15 minutes watching very closely. Don’t walk away during this time. When the zucchini starts to show some brown spots immediately remove from the oven and set aside.
NOTE: This is the tricky part of the recipe. The baking time is going to vary wildly depending on how thickly you sliced your zucchini, how much moisture is in the zucchini, how humid the day is, and the alignment of the planets around the sun :-)
Seriously, it can take anywhere from 8 to 15 minutes, but be aware that once they start to brown, they will go from beautifully golden to BURNED in about 30 seconds. Watch them like a hawk.
When the oven has reached the lower temperature setting(180-200 degrees) , return the zucchini to the oven and cook for an additional 20-60 minutes or until the slices are crispy. Again, the cooking time will vary but they won’t likely burn during this part of the cooking.
Keep checking every 10 minutes or so and when the thickest slices are crispy, they’re done!
Remove from the oven and cool.
Zucchini Chips Recipe | Yummly
I started at a lower temp and then turned it down. It took a little longer, but I knew they wouldn't burn. Also, I just used a pastry brush