Photographer Finds 120-Year-Old Cat Photos from Film in Time Capsule
Time capsules are a treasured tradition designed to connect the present society to historical pasts.
- For thousands of years, capsules have manifested as planned, physical objects that have historically significant objects or records, or even unintentional preservations.
- Time capsules maintain a sense of mystery, adventure, and discovering about these lost treasures.
French photographer, filmmaker, and YouTuber Mathieu Stern discovered a time capsule in the basement of his old family home.
- The antique box dated to 1900, containing items belonging to a young girl, including a paper doll, coins, a compass, a sea shell, and a letter.
- The box held two glass plate negatives, which Stern then developed using cyanotype, an old photographic printing method.
- The images revealed the pets of the girl, including a cat whose memory will not be forgotten.
To see how Stern developed these old images, watch the full video.