Apple Has Announced Plans To Have Net Zero Carbon Footprint By 2030

Screengrab / Apple / Instagram

hcwriting

Apple announces plans to reduce carbon emissions and take part in carbon removal and offsetting projects.

Apple has recently announced that they plan to have a net zero carbon footprint by 2030, according to a report by Daily Mail.

The company plans to reduce carbon emissions from their operations, including within their manufacturing supply chain. This will make up 75 percent of the goal, and the other 25 percent will be achieved through carbon removal or offsetting projects, like planting trees or restoring habitats.

Currently, 74 percent of the company’s carbon emissions are generated in the production of iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers, according to Apple. They plan to use more recycled materials to reduce emissions in the future.

Already, iPhones use recycled rare earth elements from a component called taptic engine in the creation of the product. One of Apple’s newer inventions, a robot called Dave, recovers materials from taptic engine in iPhones by disassembling it.

Currently, iPhones, Macs, and Apple Watches made within the year have been using recycled materials.

In addition, Apple’s global corporate operations are already carbon neutral and powered by renewable energy. Now, the company plans to expand that goal to every aspect of the corporation, meaning that every Apple device will have zero climate impact.

In 2018, the company’s fiscal report showed their carbon footprint at 25.2 million tons.

Apple currently relies on carbon-generating power sources to maintain operations, using large quantities of energy to do so. They also mine for materials to make their products, which discards material that emits chemicals into the atmosphere.

Tech companies have faced recent pressure to up their environmental efforts, which may be a driving force behind Apple’s announcement.

“Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share,' said Apple CEO Tim Cook. “'The planet we share can’t wait, and we want to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”

The 2020 Environmental Progress Report was released by Apple today and shows the company’s plans to reduce emissions and help the environment by 2030. They claim to have commitments from over 70 suppliers to use 100 percent renewable energy in their production.

Apple’s roadmap for carbon neutrality can be found on their website. The company says that they would assist others in reducing their environmental impact as well.

Read the full report here.

Comments

Science, Futurology, and Analysis

FEATURED
COMMUNITY