Winston Churchill’s Granddaughter Endorses Joe Biden In Op-Ed
Edwina Sandys, the granddaughter of Winston Churchill, who famously led Britain through World War II, wrote an op-ed in USA Today denouncing President Donald Trump and revealing she has cast her vote for former Vice President Joe Biden.
- “Trump compared himself to my grandfather, but he's no Winston Churchill,” Sandys wrote. “I voted for Biden and today I'm joining Republicans and Independents for Biden.”
- Sandys, who has lived in the U.S. since the 1970s and is an American citizen, said she considers herself an Independent and generally prefers “to be known as the artist I have been most of my life” rather than speak publicly about her grandfather.
- But she wrote that while she “certainly wouldn’t dream of putting words into his mouth, I believe I now must speak out.”
President Donald Trump’s inaction and lies about the COVID-19 crisis have persisted as hundreds of thousands of American lives are being lost. When under attack for playing down the dangers of the virus, his defense has been to compare himself as a leader to Winston Churchill.
My grandfather did not mince words about the Nazi threat — or say something like, “Hitler will be gone — disappear — like a miracle!" He trusted people with the truth, even when difficult. No! Winston Churchill did not promise the British people a rose garden.
What he actually said when he became prime minister in World War II was, "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.” The members of Parliament of all parties gave him a standing ovation, and together, the country got to work.
- Sandys wrote that Trump has damaged America’s reputation abroad, noting that in the UK he is the object of ridicule, and compared the president to a “spoiled child” who “wants to break up all the other kids’ toys.”
- Biden, by contrast, is “a decent man,” she wrote.
He is a man in full, who has known sadness and joy. I believe he will turn the page of history and work with the whole country to make America great again.
I rarely wade into the political waters, but this year, at this moment, I am joining Republicans and Independents for Biden, an affiliate of the Lincoln Project.
I have just voted for Joe Biden. Some of my friends may never speak to me again; others will applaud. Please, for the sake of our country, free yourselves and vote your conscience.