White Attorney Charged With Hate Crime For Spitting On Black Teen During Protest
According to The Hill, a white lawyer in Shorewood, Wisconsin, has been charged with a hate crime after a “now-viral video showed her spitting on a Black student” at a protest against police brutality and racial injustice.
- Stephanie Rapkin, 64, was taken into police custody after the incident last weekend and officially charged by the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office “with disorderly conduct as a hate crime and battery to a police officer.”
- The Hill reported that Rapkin was asked by demonstrators to move her car, which was parked in the street where protesters planned to march. In the video, she is seen “spitting on 17-year-old Eric Lucas, a junior at Shorewood High who helped to organize and lead the demonstration.”
- Rapkin reportedly had “felt threatened over fears of coronavirus because she is a cancer survivor and protesters were not wearing masks” The Hill added. However, the video shows that she was not wearing a mask herself.
- Lucas told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he is still “mentally and physically shaken.”
"To be assaulted by an adult in my own community during a pandemic was traumatic," he continued. "Again and again, I am viewed not as a child but as a color."
- Rapkin was involved in another incident later in the week, when she was “confronted about the viral video of her spitting on a teenager. According to the criminal complaint against Rapkin, she resisted arrest and kneed an officer in the groin last weekend when approached over the viral video.”
The Hill reported that these incidents have “led to calls for the lawyer to be disbarred in the state.”