The Trump administration announced during a press conference today that they would honor a U.S. Supreme Court decision that barred a citizen question from appearing on the U.S. census.
Speaking to reporters, U.S. Attorney General Barr said the Trump White House had always intended to comply with the Court's opinion. (This is not true). Barr chided the press, claiming they were behaving hysterically.
However, the press (nor the public) were over-reacting.
The President of the United States had publicly stated that he would ignore a Supreme Court decision, something that would immediately plunge the U.S. into another constitutional crisis.
According to the New York Times, President Donald Trump and Barr were in discussions just recently about how they intended to add the citizen question, something that would have violated the U.S. Constitution.
President Trump and Attorney General William P. Barr began working to find a way to place a citizenship question on the 2020 census just after the Supreme Court blocked its inclusion last month, Mr. Barr said on Monday, adding that he believes that the administration can find a legal path to incorporating the question.
“The president is right on the legal grounds. I felt the Supreme Court decision was wrong, but it also made clear that the question was a perfectly legal question to ask, but the record had to be clarified,” Mr. Barr said in an interview. He was referring to the ruling that left open the possibility that the citizenship question could be added to the census if the administration came up with a better rationale for it.
Mr. Barr said that the Trump administration would soon reveal how it plans to add the question, but he would not detail potential legal pathways. The main challenge, he said, would be adding the question without disrupting the census.
see entire story here (It directly contradicts Barr's assertion that the White House had always intended to comply with the Court's census decision).