WH Adviser Who Discounted First COVID-19 Wave Says There Won’t Be A Second One
POLITICO reports that Larry Kudlow, director of the National Economic Council, has affirmed there is no “second wave” of COVID-19 descending on the United States, even if there are some “embers flaring up.”
- In an appearance on Fox & Friends, Kudlow said, “There is no emergency. There is no second wave. I don’t know where that got started.”
- Kudlow admits that he is “not the health expert,” but he asserts that other public health officials in the White House say “There is no second spike.”
- Kudlow also said, “What you do have is certain spots are seeing a little bit of a jump up. Some small metropolitan areas are seeing it. The [Centers for Disease Control] and the health people are all over it. They’ve sent some task forces out to deal with it.”
- POLITICO reports that these comments come while eighteen states are reporting an increase in COVID-19 case counts, including surges in Arizona, Florida, and Texas. In nine states, hospitalizations have risen rapidly since Memorial Day.
Additionally, Kudlow previously downplayed the threat of the first wave of COVID-19 in February 2020.
- On CNBC’s “The Exchange,” Kudlow said, “We have contained this. I won’t say [it’s] airtight, but it’s pretty close to airtight,” and that although the outbreak would be a “human tragedy,” it would not be an “economic tragedy.”
POLITICO reports that as of June 12, 2020,
More than 113,000 Americans have died as a result of Covid-19 as of Friday morning, and the total number of confirmed cases in the U.S. has surged beyond 2 million. About 5,000 to 6,000 Americans are expected to die every week from Covid-19 from now until July 4, experts predict.