WATCH: Trump Declines To Say He Was Just “Joking” About Slowing Down Testing
President Trump was given the opportunity to say he was joking when he said at his recent rally that he ordered coronavirus testing to be slowed down, but he opted not to take it.
- On Saturday night, Trump said, “When you do testing... you're gonna find more people, you're gonna find more cases. So I said to my people, 'slow the testing down please!'"
- During a Monday interview at the White House, Trump appeared more concerned over the difference between the United States’ coronavirus cases and other countries.
- Rather than explain that he was joking about slowing down testing, the president doubled-down about how great the United States is doing with testing.
- He argued the circular logic that with more testing comes more positive cases, which makes the United States look far worse than the rest of the world. However, these people would still be symptomatically or asymptomatically carrying the deadly virus whether or not they were tested.
- He denied to answer if there would be continued access to testing for the American people.
“If it did slow down, frankly, I think we’re way ahead of ourselves, if you wanna know the truth. We’ve done too good of a job.”