The Washington Post was provided scans of passports by Turkish officials Tuesday who say the documents were carried by seven of the Saudi men suspected of killing journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi consulate earlier this month.
> Within days of Khashoggi’s disappearance, Turkish investigators said they had pieced together most of the mystery, concluding that he had been killed inside the consulate and dismembered.
> Turkey said a 15-member team dispatched from Saudi Arabia played a role in the killing. Turkish officials have confirmed that the 15 names reported in the Turkish media are those of the suspected team members, and their alleged involvement is part of the evidence cited by Turkey that Saudi Arabia was responsible for Khashoggi’s death.
The Post said it was unclear why Turkish officials did not supply passport scans for all 15 suspects, and the newspaper published the images with names and faces blurred as it had not independently verified the men’s identities.
Saudi officials have maintained they had no involvement in Khashoggi’s disappearance and insist they have no idea where he is now.
Saudi Arabia permitted Turkish officials to inspect the consulate in Istanbul on Monday, but investigators said Saudi officials have been uncooperative in the efforts.
> They also noted apparent Saudi attempts to scrub the sceneby bringing in cleaning crews and repainting areas of the consulate. “People who have nothing to hide,” one official said, “don’t behave like this.”