U.S. Intelligence Says Republicans Are Working With Russia To Re-Elect Trump
William Evanina, director of the United States National Counterintelligence and Security Center, published a report warning that Russia is interfering in the presidential election to secure a Trump victory, according to New York Magazine’s Jonathan Chait.
- The report highlights three countries that are interfering in the election: China, Iran, and Russia. Of the three, the former two want Trump to lose while the latter wants Trump to win.
- The report allows Republicans to claim that there is interference on both sides, Chait noted, but in reality, the efforts taken by Russia to influence the election are far more extensive than Iran and China.
- Iran and China have been interfering by criticizing the president in public remarks and circulating anti-Trump content on social media. Russian efforts include all of that plus more.
- The report highlights that “pro-Russia Ukrainian parliamentarian Andriy Derkach is spreading claims about corruption — including through publicizing leaked phone calls — to undermine former Vice President Biden’s candidacy and the Democratic Party,” Chait wrote.
- Derkach has also been openly working with Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani, meeting with him in Kiev last December. In addition, "The Washington Post reported that Homeland Security Committee chairman Ron Johnson received secret documents from Ukrainians. "
- Chait further noted,
The Russians have given Republicans stolen tapes of secret conversations Biden held with Ukrainians during his tenure as vice-president, and pro-Trump media outlets have hyped up the material, but nothing they have is inconsistent with the narrative that mainstream news organizations found. Biden was working to clean up Ukraine.
- Evanina’s Friday report is significant, Chait said, because “it makes clear that the passing of information, real or otherwise, from various Ukrainian figures to various Trump allies is part of a Russian-directed scheme to help Trump win.”
Republicans could tell Russia that Russian-controlled media are free to say anything they want, but Republicans aren’t going to launder their propaganda for them. Instead, they are doing everything in their power to exploit it.