Two Dozen Ex-GOP Lawmakers Come Out Against Trump On Day One Of GOP Convention
According to Fox News, “more than two-dozen former Republican members of Congress threw their support behind a ‘Republicans for Biden’ effort being launched Monday by the Democratic presidential nominee’s campaign to engage potential GOP supporters this November.”
- The announcement “comes on the first day of the Republican National Convention, as delegates prepare to formally re-nominate President Trump on Monday,” Fox News wrote.
- “In their respective convention agendas, each party has sought to showcase converted supporters. Joe Biden's list of Republican supporters, shared first with Fox News, includes a number of well-known Trump critics, most notably former GOP Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona,” the report continued.
- Some others on the list “had already backed the former vice president, including former Republican Sens. Gordon Humphrey of New Hampshire (who is now an independent) and John Warner of Virginia,” Fox News reported.
- They are joined by a number of former Republican House members:
Former Reps. Steve Bartlett of Texas, Bill Clinger of Pennsylvania, Tom Coleman of Missouri, Charlie Dent of Pennsylvania, Charles Djou of Hawaii, Mickey Edwards of Oklahoma, Wayne Gilchrest of Maryland, Jim Greenwood of Pennsylvania, Bob Inglis of South Carolina, Jim Kolbe of Arizona, Steve Kuykendall of California, Ray LaHood of Illinois (who served as Transportation secretary in the Obama administration), Jim Leach of Iowa, Connie Morella of Maryland, Mike Parker of Mississippi, Jack Quinn of New York, Claudine Schneider of Rhode Island, Chris Shays of Connecticut, Peter Smith of Vermont, Alan Steelman of Texas, Bill Whitehurst of Virginia, Dick Zimmer of New Jersey, and Jim Walsh of New York.
- A Biden campaign official told Fox News that the “endorsements are a ‘strong rebuke’ of Trump and his administration.”
“These former members of Congress cited Trump’s corruption, destruction of democracy, blatant disregard for moral decency, and urgent need to get the country back on course as a reason why they support Biden,” the Biden campaign official said. “These former Members of Congress are supporting Joe Biden because they know what’s at stake in this election and that Trump’s failures as President have superseded partisanship.”