Trump Turns His Back On Dr. Birx After She Incinerated Her Reputation For Him
President Donald Trump lashed out publicly at Dr. Deborah Birx on Monday, suggesting that she hurt him by acknowledging that the coronavirus is now widespread across the United States, according to The Hill.
- “Trump targeted Birx over a weekend response to criticism from Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who questioned Birx’s credibility in responding to the pandemic,” the news outlet reported, calling Birx’s response to Pelosi’s criticism “pathetic.”
- The president tweeted: “So Crazy Nancy Pelosi said horrible things about Dr. Deborah Birx, going after her because she was too positive on the very good job we are doing on combatting the China Virus, including Vaccines & Therapeutics. In order to counter Nancy, Deborah took the bait & hit us. Pathetic!”
- Trump’s tweet marked the first time he has criticized Birx in public, The Hill noted, though it is not the first time he has undercut one of his own public health officials during the pandemic.
- Pelosi had said of Birx, “I think the president is spending — spreading disinformation about the virus and she is his — she is his appointee. So I don't have confidence there, no.”
- And Birx responded on Sunday: “I have tremendous respect for the Speaker. And I have tremendous respect for her long dedication to the American people.”
- She added a warning: “What we are seeing today is different from March and April. It is extraordinarily widespread ... it’s more widespread and it’s both rural and urban. To everybody who lives in a rural area, you are not immune or protected from this virus. And that is why we keep saying, no matter where you live in America, you need to wear a mask and socially distance, do the personal hygiene pieces.”