Trump Told Sarah Sanders To ‘Take One For The Team’ After Kim Jong-Un Wink
President Donald Trump told then White House press secretary Sarah Sanders that she would have to “go to North Korea and take one for the team,” after Kim Jong-un winked at Sanders during Trump’s 2018 summit with the leader in Singapore.
- Sanders reportedly makes the revelation in her forthcoming book, Speaking for Myself, slated for release next Tuesday. The Guardian obtained a copy and has reported on its contents.
- Trump was delighted by the apparent flirtation from Kim, Sanders writes, telling his press secretary: “Kim Jong-un hit on you! He did! He fucking hit on you!”
- The Guardian said Sanders’ book is not “a tell-all by a former staffer or a burn-all by a hostile family member” but rather “a paean to the president by a loyal follower with the subtitle Faith, Freedom and the Fight of Our Lives Inside the Trump White House.”
However, somewhat in the manner of leaked sections that took aim at the former national security adviser John Bolton after he turned on Trump, Sanders does describe boorish or misogynistic behavior by the president and senior aides that may make campaign aides wince, particularly as Trump trails Joe Biden among women.
- This is true of the Kim incident as well, the publication noted, in which “Sanders describes a session at the Singapore talks in which the dictator ‘reluctantly’ accepted a Tic Tac from Trump, who ‘dramatically blew into the air to reassure Kim it was just a breath mint’ and not a capsule of poison.”
The two men also talked about sports, including women’s soccer. Then, Sanders writes, she looked up “to notice Kim staring at me. We made direct eye contact and Kim nodded and appeared to wink at me. I was stunned. I quickly looked down and continued taking notes.
“… All I could think was, ‘What just happened? Surely Kim Jong-un did not just mark me!?’”
- “Later, in the presidential ‘Beast’ limousine on the way to the airport, Sanders relayed the incident to Trump and his then chief of staff, John Kelly,” The Guardian wrote.
- After Trump declared that Kim had hit on Sanders, the devout Christian woman said, “Sir, please stop.”
- But the president did not stop, joking with Sanders: “Well, Sarah, that settles it. You’re going to North Korea and taking one for the team! Your husband and kids will miss you, but you’ll be a hero to your country!”
- The former press secretary claims that both Trump and Kelly “howled with laughter” at the situation.