President Trump continues to downplay the threat of the growing coronavirus epidemic, insisting that he is not worried the virus could pose a risk at his political rallies or any other large public gatherings, the New York Magazine reported.
Trump reaffirmed his confidence after the American Conservative Union (ACU) announced that an attendee of the organization’s recent CPAC event had tested positive for COVID-19.
The White House issued a statement and noted that they were aware of the case, but that “at this time there is no indication that either President Trump or Vice President Pence met with or were in close proximity to the attendee.
“I’m not concerned at all,” Trump told reporters on Saturday night at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, insisting he was not planning on scaling back his campaign rallies, even as the virus reached Washington D.C. earlier in the day.
“We’ll hold tremendous rallies,” Trump said.
Public health officials around the country are saying that without more widespread testing, it’s impossible to know how far the virus has spread within the country.
While Trump may not be in close contact with the masses at his political events, his supporters and staff do.
“We will announce rallies when we are ready to do so,” a Trump campaign spokesperson claimed.