Trump Threatens To Withhold Wildfire Aid From California
According to the White House pool report, President Trump suggested on Thursday that he might withhold funding for California wildfires, complaining that the state has not heeded his advice about raking the forest floors.
- San Francisco Chronicle reporter Alexei Koseff tweeted a quote from the president on the issue: "But they have massive fires again in California. Maybe we're just going to have to make them pay for it, because they don't listen to us. We say you got to get rid of the leaves."
- Trump said he has “been telling them this now for three years, but they don’t want to listen.”
- Koseff also tweeted the entire quote:
- Meanwhile, Reuters reported last year that Trump had offered assistance to Russian President Vladimir Putin for fighting wildfires that raged in Siberia, citing the Kremlin.
- “The U.S. president offered Russia cooperation in fighting forest fires in Siberia,” the Kremlin said in a statement last July. “President Putin expressed his sincere gratitude for such an attentive attitude and for the offer of help and support.”
- The White House confirmed at the time that “the two men had spoken by phone and said they had discussed the wildfires as well as trade between their two nations.”