Trump’s Main Argument For Re-Election, The Economy, Is Gone
The latest Fox News Poll shows that voters are increasingly favoring former Vice President Joe Biden over President Trump, according to Fox News.
- The poll was conducted May 17-20, “under the joint direction of Beacon Research (D) and Shaw & Company (R),” and included 1,207 randomly chosen registered voters across the US.
- Voters trust Biden to do a better job than Trump on China, the coronavirus, and health care by 6, 9, and 17 points, respectively.
- The poll also showed that voters trust Trump slightly more than Biden with economic recovery.
- However, 88 percent of those surveyed are concerned about the spread of the virus and 78 percent reported feeling that the economy is in bad shape.
“That might be the election in a nutshell,” says Democrat Chris Anderson, who conducts the poll with Republican Daron Shaw. “Trump has a slight advantage in a narrow debate about economic recovery, but a debate about coronavirus or public health more broadly benefits Biden.”
Ratings on the economy continue to fall, with respondents' views negative by 58 points: 20 percent excellent/good versus 78 percent only fair/poor.
- 54 percent reported thinking the US is in the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.
- Fox News reported that in the 2020 ballot test, Biden leads Trump by 8 points, and more Biden supporters (69 percent) feel highly motivated to vote than Trump supporters (63 percent).
Amid the pandemic, voters continue to be concerned about their safety as well as their financial livelihoods, and the next several months will be critical in the race for the White House.