Trump Demands Bill Barr Open Probe Into Biden 2-Weeks Before Election Day
President Donald Trump said during an interview with Fox & Friends on Tuesday that Attorney General William Barr must open an investigation into Joe Biden’s alleged corruption in Ukraine — despite no legitimate evidence of wrongdoing.
- Trump was referring to recent allegations from his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, who claims emails from a laptop purportedly belonging to Biden’s son, Hunter, show the former vice president engaged in corruption.
- Giuliani’s allegations have not been independently verified by any reputable news organizations.
- "We’ve got to get the attorney general to act,” Trump said. “He’s got to act, and he’s got to act fast, he’s got to appoint somebody. This is major corruption, and this has to be known about before the election.”
- CNN reporter Marshall Cohen noted that Trump’s statements are reminiscent of his quid pro quo with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, in which he demanded that Zelensky investigate Biden and announce it.
- Cohen posted to Twitter a portion of Bill Taylor, who was the top U.S. diplomat in Ukraine.
- Taylor said in 2019 that “Trump did insist [that] President Zelensky go to a microphone and say he is opening investigations of Biden.”