Trump Adviser: We’re Taking Saudi Arabia “At Their Word” On Florida Shooting
Trump administration officials are trusting Saudi Arabia’s government to cooperate with the FBI’s investigation of last week’s shooting at the Navy base in Pensacola, Florida, where three people were killed and several others were injured, according to HuffPost.
National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien told CBS’s Face the Nation that the U.S. is taking the Saudis “at their word” on the matter.
“The Saudis have promised full cooperation with the investigation,” O’Brien said on Sunday. “We’re going to take them at their word.”
Although he said the shooting “appears to be a terrorist attack,” O’Brien said officials have not yet determined if the Saudi pilot who was in the U.S. for aviation training was the sole perpetrator.
“We don’t know yet if he was acting alone,” O’Brien said. “It appears that this may be someone that was radicalized, whether it was here ― it’s unclear if he’s got any ties to any other organizations.”
Several other Saudi nationals at the Navy base were questioned by authorities, including three who were seen recording the shooting on their cell phones.
President Donald Trump took a friendly tone toward the Kingdom in the wake of the shooting as well, tweeting: “King Salman of Saudi Arabia just called to express his sincere condolences and give his sympathies to the families and friends of the warriors who were killed and wounded in the attack that took place in Pensacola, Florida.”
He added: “The King said that the Saudi people are greatly angered by the barbaric actions of the shooter, and that this person in no way shape or form represents the feelings of the Saudi people who love the American people.”