Republican Group At Arizona State Raises Money For Accused Double Murderer
According to The Hill, the conservative student group College Republicans United at Arizona State University is raising money for 17-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse, the teen accused of killing two protesters in Kenosha, Wisconsin, last week.
- The group wrote in a tweet on Thursday: "Half of all funds collected this semester for Republicans United will be donated to 17-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse legal defense fund. He does not deserve to have his entire life destroyed because of the actions of violent anarchists during a lawless riot."
- Rittenhouse is “accused of shooting and killing 26-year-old Anthony Huber and 36-year-old Joseph Rosenbaum in Kenosha,” the outlet reported.
- The teen “was formally charged with intentional homicide, one count of attempted first-degree intentional homicide and two counts of first-degree reckless endangerment.”
- Attorneys for the alleged gunman maintain that he was acting in self-defense, The Hill reported.
"Upon the sound of a gunshot behind him, Kyle turned and was immediately faced with an attacker lunging towards him and reaching for his rifle," attorneys said. "He reacted instantaneously and justifiably with his weapon to protect himself, firing and striking the attacker."
- College Republicans United believes that Rittenhouse acted to combat chaos in the city, saying:
"Kenosha has devolved into anarchy because the authorities in charge of the city abandoned it. They stood back and watched Kenosha burn. Kyle Rittenhouse is not a vigilante but a citizen who attempted to help in a city in chaos."
- The Hill noted that “A separate University of Arizona group called ASU College Republicans (ASU CR) issued a statement distancing themselves from the United group's efforts to raise funds for Rittenhouse's legal fees.”
"We do not associate with nor condone their recent actions involving contributing to the legal defense fund of a man who shot and killed several Americans in Wisconsin," according to the statement.
- ASU CR also “called for a formal administrative investigation into CRU, alleging that the group defending Rittenhouse has a history of ‘blatantly racist and antisemitic conduct.’"