Report: In Private, Boris Johnson And The UK Gov’t Hope Trump Loses In November
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s conservative government is privately “desperate” for President Donald Trump to lose to Joe Biden this fall, according to a Business Insider report.
- Though Johnson is one of Trump’s closest international allies, his government has been quietly trying to distance itself from the United States president.
- One minister told The Sunday Times, “It would make things much easier if Trump doesn’t win re-election," adding that many others in the government agree.
- A senior UK diplomat told Business Insider earlier this month, “A lot of stuff will change if Biden wins.” The official added: "The venal corruption of the Trump family and the nasty narcissistic aspects of his behavior — all that will go with a different sort of president.”
- Biden and Johnson would be unlikely allies, though, as Biden has publicly opposed Brexit and previously described the PM as a “clone” of Trump.
- Despite tension between Trump and Johnson in recent months, Trump was successful in having the UK scrap its deal with Huawei to develop Britain’s 5G network.
- Even so, Business Insider reported, the ordeal “has helped to reduce the UK government's appetite to strike a new trade deal with Trump.”