Renowned Psychiatrist Warns Trump “Will Destroy Decency And Democracy”
In an interview with Chauncey Devega of Salon, psychiatrist Dr. Lance Dodes warned that he believes President Donald J. Trump is “a psychopath who will destroy decency and democracy” and may even attempt to consolidate power in a “Reichstag incident.”
- Dodes asserted that Trump “is incapable of tolerating losing without withdrawing into delusional paranoid explanations of what happened.
- Referring to his recent rallies in Tulsa, Oklahoma and Phoenix, Arizona, Dodes said, “Trump is able to appear more in touch with reality when he is being worshiped… When he is challenged, however, his cruelty, sadism, paranoia, lack of conscience, incitement to violence and active pursuit of policies that kill people become obvious.”
- When Devega asked Dodes about “How do we make sense of the standard deflection where some people say that it is all ‘hyperbole…?’” Dodes answered, “Trump has already killed people. He is killing people all the time through his willful negligent handling of the coronavirus pandemic in order to improve his election chances.”
- In the interview, Devega noted that former national security advisor John Bolton’s book The Room Where It Happened claims that members of Trump’s cabinet secretly mock him. Of this, Dodes said, “If Donald Trump believes that people in his inner circle are even criticizing him, much less mocking him, he will do whatever he can to harm them, starting with firing them but then slandering and blaming them for his actions.”
- Dodes also said he is unsurprised by Bolton’s claims in the book that Trump would like some journalists imprisoned or even “executed.” Dodes said, “ Dictators always want to punish journalists. The last thing that Donald Trump wants is a free press.”
Devega also asked Dodes how he thought Trump might react if he did lose to Democrat candidate Joe Biden in the November 2020 presidential election. Dodes answered,
As Hitler did to consolidate his power, it is likely that Trump will create some type of Reichstag incident, such as starting a war with China or Iran, attempting to fool the American people into thinking there is a crisis that requires total obedience to him. There is a serious probability that he will try to cancel the 2020 election, given that he has already claimed the election will be invalid and is fighting to disallow or prevent votes by people who oppose him. Trump is telegraphing his plans for all to see. What we need to see is that Donald Trump is fundamentally psychologically defective, that he is a psychopath who will destroy decency and democracy if his efforts to do this are not recognized in time.