'Proud Boys' Emails Threatening FL Voters Appear To Use Spoofed Email Address
Emails received by some Democratic voters in Florida reading, “Vote for Trump or else!”, appeared to come from the far-right group Proud Boys, but according to VICE News, metadata indicates the senders likely spoofed the email address displayed to recipients.
- The email reads: "We are in possession of all your information. You are currently registered as a Democrat, and we know this because we have gained access into the entire voting infrastructure.”
- It continues: “You will vote for Trump on Election Day or we will come after you. Change your party affiliation to Republican to let us know you received our message and will comply.”
- The email concludes: “We will know which candidate you voted for. I would take this seriously if I were you. Good luck."
- It is currently unknown whether the emails actually came from the Proud Boys, as VICE noted that “the ‘client-ip’ address in the headers points to an Estonian IP, suggesting the senders spoofed the email address displayed to receivers.”
The Proud Boys, on some of their official channels, have claimed to have nothing to do with the emails, though it is of course possible that someone involved with the Proud Boys was involved in spoofing the emails.
Proud Boys didn’t respond to VICE News’ email inquiry, but on social media they were bristling about the apparent voter intimidation campaign. Proud Boys’ Seattle Chapter put out a PSA on Telegram, calling the emails a “false flag operation and a larp being carried out by someone who is soon to be exposed.” That message was distributed to other Telegram channels associated with the Proud Boys. (Disclosure: Gavin McInnes founded the Proud Boys in 2016. He was also a co-founder of VICE. He left the company in 2008 and has had no involvement since then.)
Proud Boy organizer Joe Biggs chimed in on Parler. “This is such BS,” he wrote. “We don't do that none of this stuff even is remotely attached to us. It will be funny when it goes straight back to the bitch who's making this all up. More desperation from the left to attack good men who stand up against evil.
- VICE also noted that the personal details in the emails are from public voter rolls, which are accessible to anyone.
- The FBI reportedly is investigating the emails.