Pentagon Waiting For Saudi Arabia's Assessment Before Blaming Iran For Attack
Rather than outright accuse Iran of attacking Saudi oil facilities over the weekend as the State Department has done, the Pentagon will yield itself to Saudi Arabia’s conclusion, according to The Hill.
Officials said on Thursday that they are waiting for the Kingdom to conclude its investigation before casting blame in Iran’s direction.
“We’re not going to get ahead of the Saudi investigation in their assessment of this,” top Defense Department spokesman Jonathan Hoffman told reporters.
“We’re supporting their investigation, we have teams on the ground working with them, but we’re not going to get ahead of their conclusions.”
However, Hoffman said it does appear that Iran was behind the attack, adding that “this has been a dramatic escalation” of the country’s past activity.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was more willing to point his finger at Iran after the drone strikes, saying earlier on Thursday it was “abundantly clear” that Tehran was behind the attacks: “I didn’t hear anybody in the region who doubted that for a single moment.”
On Wednesday, Pompeo said the strikes were and “act of war” by Iran.