News Article That’s Clearly Satire Causes Trump To Explode With Rage Online
President Donald Trump responded with an angry tweet to a Babylon Bee story reporting that Twitter shut down its entire network to avoid the spread of negative news regarding Joe Biden, writing, “Wow, this has never been done in history.”
The problem is that Babylon Bee is a satire website, and nothing in the story could be construed as remotely real.
- “In a last-ditch effort to stop negative stories about Joe Biden and his family from spreading, Twitter shut down its entire social network Thursday,” the story begins.
After seeing account after account tweet out one particularly bad story, CEO Jack Dorsey realized he had to take action. Dorsey smashed a glass box in his office reading "Break In Case Of Bad Publicity For Democrats." Inside the case was a sledgehammer for smashing Twitter's servers.
"Red alert -- shut the servers down! Shut them all down!"
- The fake story goes on to describe how Dorsey “started smashing as many computers as he could” and how programmers who couldn’t lift hammers “managed to program a robot to pick up the sledgehammer and smash the servers.”
- “After hearing the Twitter employees talk about critical theory, the robot got woke and began attacking all the cis white males,” the story continued.
- But Trump, likely seeing only the headline and unaware of the website’s nature, took the story at face value and responded in anger.
- “Wow, this has never been done in history. This includes his really bad interview last night. Why is Twitter doing this. Bringing more attention to Sleepy Joe & Big T,” the President of the United States declared to his 87.2 million followers.