N.C. Towns Cancel Christmas Celebrations, Fearing White Supremacist Violence
Wake Forest, North Carolina, announced last week that it was canceling its Christmas parade over fears of white supremacist violence, according to The News & Observer, becoming the second town in Wake County to tell Santa Claus to stay home this year.
The parade was planned for December 14, but town officials said that they received “credible” information indicating that supporters of confederate symbols and their opponents were prepared to descend on the town during the festivities — leading to concerns that the conflict could become violent.
So far, neither side has threatened violence, but officials do not intend to take any chances. For the first time in 71 years, the parade simply will not take place.
“All you have to do is turn on the news and see, in our area, our state and across the nation, how quickly things can turn bad, how quickly people can be injured,” said Bill Crabtree, spokesman for the town of Wake Forest. “When things go bad, there is a threat to public safety and that was something that we just couldn’t risk.”
Crabtree said members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and of the United Daughters of the Confederacy have participated in the parade in the past, without incident.