Mike Pompeo Admits That Soleimani Posed No Imminent Threat To American Homeland
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made an appearance on CNN Friday morning to defend the Trump administration’s preemptive strike in Iraq that killed Iranian Major General Qassem Soleimani, head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps-Quds Force.
Pompeo said taking out Soleimani was imperative because the Iranian military leader was “working actively” on an “imminent attack.”
But as reported by RawStory, Pompeo was forced to admit that there was no imminent threat to the American homeland, acknowledging that “These were threats that were located in the region.”
“It was using the proxy forces he has manipulated for so long to bring so much destruction to the Shias, Sunnis and Muslims throughout the region. He inflicted harm not only on American lives but created terrible activities supporting Hezbollah, Hamas. Qassim Soleimani was at the center of all of it,” Pompeo said.
Asked by CNN’s John Berman about the timing of the strike, considering that Soleimani had been a threat to U.S. interests for decades, Pompeo simply chose to agree to disagree with those who believe the assassination was a mistake.
“We’ve heard from Iraqi leaders so far condemning the U.S. action,” said Berman. “We heard from a French official this morning putting out a statement saying that the world is less safe following the killing of General Suleimani. And the concern there, no one is saying General Suleimani was a good actor. He was a bad actor. What they’re suggesting is the destabilization will create a threatening environment. When you hear from France, the world is a less safe place this morning, how do you respond to that?”
“Yeah, well, the French are just wrong about that,” Pompeo responded. “The world is a much safer place today. And I can assure you Americans in the region are much safer today after the demise of Qassim Suleimani … the Iranian people know that America is a force for the good in the region.”