Mich. GOP Candidate’s Daughter Urges People Not To Vote For Him In Viral Tweet
According to The Hill, the daughter of a Republican candidate running for a seat in the Michigan state House pleaded with voters not to vote for her father this week in a tweet that has since gone viral.
- Stephanie Regan, the daughter of candidate Robert Regan, wrote in her tweet: “If you’re in Michigan and 18+ pls for the love of god do not vote for my dad for state rep. Tell everyone.”
- The tweet garnered more than 159,000 in the past two days, according to the report.
- In subsequent tweets, Stephanie urged voters to research her father’s campaign, writing: “I don’t feel safe rn sharing further information regarding his beliefs, but please look him up and just read for yourself.”
- In response to his daughter’s public statements, Regan said in a statement, "I am happy that she feels confident enough in our relationship to express her opposing thoughts so publicly.” He encouraged his daughter and others to voice their opinions, The Hill reported.
- The statement also described Regan as “the most conservative option in a three-way Republican primary.”
- Regan told The Hill on Thursday “that he was not completely surprised by his daughter's words given their disagreements over issues like systemic racism, the existence of white privilege and Black Lives Matter.”
“A lot of students when they go off to these liberal university campuses, like the University of Colorado, the University of Texas and Austin — and she went to the University of Colorado in Boulder — and you know, they just kind of get sucked into this Marxist, communist ideology and she and I just don’t see eye to eye when it comes to the whole socialism, communism, Marxist philosophy,” he said.
- The candidate also said he believed it was their disagreement over systemic racism that likely prompted her initial tweet, telling the news outlet: “I don’t buy into this whole systemic racism thing at all.”
"She’s a big believer in that,” he continued, while adding, “The only place where I really see systemic racism would be the abortion clinic cause they seem to target the African American community.”
- Regan said he believes President Trump has "done more for the black community than any president we’ve had in the last 20 years."
- He and his daughter also disagree on the concept of white privilege, he said, saying “there’s no scientific data behind it.”
- The father and daughter reportedly have not spoken since Stephanie's tweet went viral, but Regan said he doesn't “hold any animosity" over her words.
Robert Regan in the interview Thursday invoked biblical scripture while likening the situation with his daughter to the "prodigal son," with the father figure "always standing at the doorstep waiting for his son to return.”