Mark Meadows: Trump Will Deploy His Secret Police To More “Democrat-Run” Cities
White House chief of staff Mark Meadows told Fox News on Sunday that President Trump will deploy federal assault squads to more “Democrat-run” cities, according to HuffPost.
- “Attorney General William Barr is ‘weighing in on that’ with acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf,” said Meadows.
- “You’ll see something rolled out this week, as we start to go in and make sure that the communities - whether it’s Chicago or Portland or Milwaukee or someplace across the heartland - we need to make sure their communities are safe,” said Meadows. He only named cities that are run by Democrats.
- “Violence was on the increase in Democrat-run cities,” Trump told “Fox News Sunday.” “They are liberally run, they are stupidly run,” he said.
This plan has caused a stir as many people opposed it.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) opposed it on Twitter, describing the squad as “stormtroopers...kidnapping protesters.”
- On Friday, Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum filed suit in U.S. District Court for the violation of constitutional protections against illegal search, seizure, and loss of liberty. It demanded to stop the uninvited squads’ “kidnap and false arrest” of citizens.
- The American Civil Liberties Union sued DHS and blasted the federal action in Portland as a “constitutional crisis.”
- Oregon Gov. Kate Brown (D) has characterized the action as “political theater” that attempted to distract the public from Trump’s response to coronavirus.
- “The federal squads won’t even identify who they are,” Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler told NPR Sunday. “We don’t know why they’re here. We don’t know the circumstances under which they’re making arrests. We don’t know what their policies are or what accountability mechanisms they follow.”
With the unidentified squads, people worried that the protest situation might get worse.