Man In Maryland Charged With Threatening To Kidnap And Kill Biden And Harris
The New York Times reports that a man in Maryland was arrested and charged with threatening to kidnap and kill former Vice President Joe Biden and his running mate, Sen. Kamala Harris, according to law enforcement officials.
A criminal complaint filed by the Secret Service on Wednesday did not describe any steps taken by the man, identified as James Dale Reed, to carry out the alleged threat. It said that on Oct. 4, Mr. Reed approached a house in his hometown, Frederick, Md., northwest of Washington, that had Biden-Harris campaign signs in the yard and left a handwritten note that contained graphic threats against the candidates and their supporters.
- Reed’s note said in part, “We are the ones with these scary guns, we are the ones your children have nightmares about.”
- The 44-year-old Reed was captured in footage from the resident’s video doorbell.
- The Times reported that Reed “provided a palm print and handwriting sample and acknowledged having written the letter, according to the complaint.”
- He faces up to five years in prison after being “charged with the federal offense of threatening a major candidate”; Reed is also charged with violating two state laws, threatening mass violence and voter intimidation.
- The complaint said that Mr. Reed was known to law enforcement for making a complaint against a person under Secret Service protection in 2014.