Kim G. Said Her Mother, A Puerto Rican Woman, Was An Immigrant To The U.S.
Former Fox News personality Kimberly Guilfoyle garnered immediate criticism after referring to her mother as an immigrant from Puerto Rico during her Rebublican National Convention speech on Monday night.
- Business Insider reported that Guilfoyle, who is a part of the Trump campaign and happens to be dating Donald Trump Jr., “opened her intense speech on the first night of the Republican National Convention by calling herself a ‘proud American’ and touting her heritage as a ‘Latina.’"
- She then described her mother as an immigrant, despite the fact that Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and its residents are U.S. citizens.
"As a first-generation American, I know how dangerous their socialist agenda is," Guilfoyle said. "My mother, Mercedes, was a special education teacher from Aguadilla, Puerto Rico. My father, also an immigrant, came to this nation in pursuit of the American Dream. Now, I consider it my duty to fight to protect that dream."
- Insider wrote, “Guilfoyle does not have first-hand experience with socialist policies. Puerto Rico is a US territory and its residents are US citizens. Her father, who is indeed an immigrant, came to the United States from Ireland. Guilfoyle was born and raised in California.”
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), who also has Puerto Rican roots, tweeted of Guilfoyle’s remarks: "The woman the GOP picked as their 'proud' Latina to tout 'immigrant experience' didn't seem to know that Puerto Rico is already part of the United States. It's quite on message, bc it reflects their belief that Latinos aren't real citizens, even when we are Native descendants."
- Likewise, Sunny Hostin, a co-host on The View, tweeted: “Kimberly Guilfoyle is a first generation American??? Her people are from Aguadilla, PR. So is my grandfather. Puerto Ricans are American - last I checked. I’m horrified. And embarrassed as a fellow Latina. Shameful.”
Guilfoyle went on in her speech to misrepresent Democratic policy ideas, saying, “[Joe] Biden, [Kamala] Harris, and the rest of the socialists will fundamentally change this nation.”
"They want open borders, closed schools, dangerous amnesty, and will selfishly send your jobs back to China while they get rich. They will defund, dismantle and destroy America's law enforcement. When you are in trouble and need police, don't count on the Democrats."