Justice Department Seeks To Take Over Trump’s Defense In Rape Case

Screengrab / TIME / YouTube

JakeThomas

The move could further delay advice columnist E. Jean Carroll's defamation lawsuit.

Bloomberg reports that the Justice Department is seeking to take over President Donald Trump’s defense in a defamation lawsuit brought by E. Jean Carroll, the advice columnist who claims Trump raped her two decades ago.

In a court filing Tuesday, the Justice Department said Trump was acting “within the scope” of his job as president when he said Carroll lied about the incident, prompting her lawsuit. The U.S. also moved the case to Manhattan federal court from a New York state court, where a judge last month denied his request to stall the suit.

The move could further delay a suit that was to soon have entered the evidence-gathering phase. Carroll is seeking to take the president’s deposition and force him to provide a DNA sample from a dress she claims she was wearing at the time of the alleged attack. It also comes as the Trump campaign has reportedly been facing a cash crunch due in part to its spending on legal fees in suits against the president.

Read the full report

Comments

U.S. & Global News

FEATURED
COMMUNITY