In Private Call, Sasse Says Trump Mocks Evangelicals, “Kisses Dictators' Butts"
According to The Washington Examiner, Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) excoriated President Donald Trump in a private phone call with constituents, saying the president bungled the pandemic response, “kisses dictators’ butts”, and mocks evangelicals behind their backs.
- On China, Sasse said of Trump: “The way he kisses dictators' butts. I mean, the way he ignores that the Uighurs are in literal concentration camps in Xinjiang. Right now, he hasn't lifted a finger on behalf of the Hong-Kongers.”
- The Republican also blasted Trump’s policies, saying, "The United States now regularly sells out our allies under his leadership, the way he treats women, spends like a drunken sailor.”
- Sasse wasn’t finished there, adding that Trump “mocks evangelicals behind closed doors”, saying the president’s family “has treated the presidency like a business opportunity, and tacking on: “He's flirted with white supremacists.”
- The Washington Examiner reported that Sasse’s comments came after a woman called on the senator to explain “your relationship with the president” and asked, “Why do you have to criticize him so much?”
- According to the report, Sasse expressed concern that Trump has destroyed the Republican Party as a viable brand for young people, to the benefit of the left.
“If young people become permanent Democrats because they've just been repulsed by the obsessive nature of our politics, or if women who were willing to still vote with the Republican Party in 2016 decide that they need to turn away from this party permanently in the future.”
- Sasse spokesman James Wegmann acknowledged that the senator made the comments on a phone call that took place earlier this week, saying in a statement to The Washington Examiner:
“I don’t know how many more times we can shout this: Even though the Beltway is obsessing exclusively about the presidential race, control of the Senate is ten times more important. The fragile Senate seats that will determine whether Democrats nuke the Senate are the races Ben cares about, the races he’s working on, and the only races he’s talking about.”