A photo of Jerry Falwell Jr., one of President Trump’s leading evangelical followers, on a yacht with his zipper unzipped and arm around a woman is circulating the internet, according to Politico.
Falwell is also the president of Liberty University, one of the largest evangelical universities in the world.
- The image has drawn criticism of Falwell. One tweet from Meghan McCain reads:
“How is this Jerry Falwell Jr. photo even real? Also if you're running the largest Christian university in America maybe don't put photos of yourself on social media with your pants undone on a yacht - with random women in bad wigs. So gross, so hypocritical.”
- Conservative CNN host S.E. Cupp also chimed in, tweeting:
“There were already so many good reasons not to entrust your kids to Jerry Falwell Jr’s learning institution. The unzipped pants yacht photo - of the school’s PRESIDENT - is sadly the least of them.”
- The photo was posted to Falwell’s instagram account but was deleted shortly after it was posted.
- Liberty University, which has a strict code of conduct for its students that prohibits premarital sex and consuming media deemed inappropriate, has declined to comment on the photo.
- Politico noted that the photo “appears to be a parody of or reference to the comedy TV show ‘Trailer Park Boys,’” adding that the “website Pulpit & Pen published a video, set to the theme music of the show, that shows Falwell and other yacht guests in costume.”