HHS Official Says Additional 1,250 Migrant Children Were Separated From Parents

Screengrab/Guardian News/YouTube

JakeThomas

Prior to announcing its "zero tolerance" policy, the Trump administration had already begun splitting families.

The Trump administration likely separated at least 1,250 more migrant children from their parents than previously reported, according to a Department of Health and Human Services official.

HHS Cmdr. Jonathan White told a federal court last week that prior to the administration’s formal announcement of its “zero tolerance” immigration policy, migrant families were already being separated at the southern U.S. border.

Courthouse News Service reported that White said he believes a “final accounting” will show at least 1,250 additional children were removed from their parents before U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw issued an injunction putting an end to the practice.

“The government had 6 months to account for all additional families it separated after a report by the Office of Inspector General this past January raised the alarm that thousands more children may have been separated than previously thought,” Courthouse News reported, noting that the deadline was set for October 25.

The American Civil Liberties Union informed the court earlier this year that the government had separated hundreds more families even after Sabraw’s order to stop the separations, citing “parental criminal history for minor crimes including misdemeanors” as the reason.

Sabraw has yet to rule on the ACLU’s request to find that those separations violate the order.

Read the full report.

Comments

U.S. & Global News

FEATURED
COMMUNITY