Giuliani’s Daughter: End Trump’s “Reign Of Terror” And Vote Biden
Caroline Rose Giuliani, the daughter of President Trump’s personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, wrote in Vanity Fair on Thursday that Americans must come together and “vote this toxic administration out of office.”
- Giuliani said she has spent years disagreeing with her father over politics and despising the “corrosive political discourse” that has become all too common in the U.S.
- But this is no time to walk away or give into apathy, she wrote: “Trump and his enablers have used his presidency to stoke the injustice that already permeated our society, taking it to dramatically new, Bond-villain heights.”
I am a filmmaker in the LGBTQ+ community who tells stories about mental health, sexuality, and other stigmatized issues, and my goal is to humanize people and foster empathy. So I hope you’ll believe me when I say that another Trump term (a term, itself, that makes me cringe) will irrevocably harm the LGBTQ+ community, among many others.
His administration asked the Supreme Court to let businesses fire people for being gay or trans, pushed a regulation to let health care providers refuse services to people who are LGTBQ+, and banned trans people from serving their country in the military.
- “Women, immigrants, people with disabilities, and people of color are all also under attack by Trump’s inhumane policies,” Giuliani continued, adding that from child separations at the border to his mishandling of the coronavirus, “Trump’s administration has torn families apart in more ways than I even imagined were possible.”
- The remedy to all of this lies at the ballot box, she said, urging voters not to abstain or cast a vote for someone other than Joe Biden.
Faced with preventable deaths during a pandemic that Trump downplayed and ignored, rhetoric that has fed deep-seated, systemic racism, and chaos in the White House, it’s no surprise that so many Americans feel as hopeless and overwhelmed as I did growing up.
If the unrelenting deluge of devastating news makes you think I’m crazy for having hope, please remember that making us feel powerless is a tactic politicians use to make us think our voices and votes don’t matter. But they do. It’s taken persistence and nerve to find my voice in politics, and I’m using it now to ask you to stand with me in the fight to end Donald Trump’s reign of terror.
I fully understand that some of you want a nominee who is more progressive. For others the idea of voting for a Democrat of any kind may be a hurdle. Now I have another confession to make. Biden wasn’t my first choice when the primaries started. But I know what is at stake, and Joe Biden will be everyone’s president if elected. If you are planning to cast a symbolic vote or abstain from voting altogether, please reconsider.
- “We are hanging by a single, slipping finger on a cliff’s edge, and the fall will be fatal,” Giuliani warned. “If we remove ourselves from the fight, our country will be in freefall. Alternatively, we can hang on, elect a compassionate and decent president, and claw our way back onto the ledge.”