Fox Poll: Nearly ⅔ Of Americans Support Vote-By-Mail, Despite Trump’s Opposition
A Fox News poll shows that the majority of Americans support a vote-by-mail system for the upcoming election in November, despite President Trump’s argument that increasing access to absentee ballots could “rig” the election, according to Newsweek.
- The poll found that 83 percent of Democrats, 60 percent of Independents, and 42 percent of Republicans support allowing all Americans to vote by mail.
- A slim majority—51 percent—of Republicans said they firmly opposed expanding mail-in voting.
- With the coronavirus pandemic likely to continue into November, activists have pushed for using mail-in ballots to protect public health.
- Ryan Thomas, a spokesperson for Stand Up America, told Newsweek in an email: “Americans should not be forced to risk their health to cast their ballots. That's why poll after poll has shown that a vast majority of Americans support mail-in voting as a safe alternative to in-person voting.”
- The group advocates for Congress to allocate $4 billion to expand vote by mail access.
Despite voting absentee himself in the past, President Trump has staunchly opposed the expansion of the practice.
- Trump tweeted on Sunday: "The United States cannot have all Mail In Ballots. It will be the greatest Rigged Election in history. People grab them from mailboxes, print thousands of forgeries and 'force' people to sign. Also, forge names. Some absentee OK, when necessary. Trying to use Covid for this Scam!"
"Extensive research reveals that fraud is very rare, voter impersonation is virtually nonexistent, and many instances of alleged fraud are, in fact, mistakes by voters or administrators. The same is true for mail ballots, which are secure and essential to holding a safe election amid the coronavirus pandemic," an article published by The Brennan Center for Justice at New York University said.
Trump’s allegations of voter fraud are largely unfounded but might pose an impediment to the widespread application of a vote-by-mail system.