Speaking with CNN’s Brian Stelter on Sunday, First Amendment expert Floyd Abrams said the network should sue the White House over its banning of reporter Jim Acosta earlier this week, saying it would be “a really strong lawsuit.”
> Acosta was sanctioned Wednesday after a testy exchange with President Trump during a lengthy press conference. The White House punished Acosta for "placing his hands on a young woman" after he declined to give up the microphone, but witnesses and video of the incident do not appear to support such a claim.
> Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said she was suspending Acosta's hard pass, which allowed him to enter the White House without supervision.
> "I can understand CNN being reluctant to sue because the president keeps saying CNN is the enemy of me, and CNN might have reluctance to have a lawsuit titled 'CNN vs. Donald Trump,'" Abrams told Stelter’s “Reliable Sources” show. "That said, yes, I think they should sue."
CNN said "no decisions have been made" regarding a potential lawsuit and that the network has reached out to the White House but has received no response.
Abrams appeared confident that Acosta would not be the only media casualty of the Trump administration, saying “it’s likely to happen again.”
> "This is going to happen again," Abrams told Stelter. "It's likely to happen again. So whether it's CNN suing or the next company suing, someone is going to have to bring a lawsuit. And whoever does is going to win unless there's some sort of reason."