FBI Publicly Contradicts White House Timeline On Rob Porter

Screengrab/NBC News/YouTube

FBI Director Christopher Wray said the White House was first informed of Porter's history in March of last year.

FBI Director Christopher Wray contradicted the official White House timeline regarding its knowledge of former staff secretary Rob Porter's domestic abuse history with testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee Tuesday.

According to Wray, White House officials received a report on Porter in March of last year - months earlier than the White House previously admitted.

Porter resigned his post last week after the domestic abuse allegations were made public.

Testifying before the Senate Intelligence Committee, Mr. Wray did not disclose the contents of the bureau’s inquiry. But he said that after the partial report in March, the F.B.I. gave the White House “a completed background investigation” in late July. He said the bureau received a request for a “follow-up inquiry” and provided more information about Mr. Porter’s background to the White House in November.

He also said that Mr. Porter’s background check investigation was “administratively closed” in January, weeks before the allegations against Mr. Porter were publicly known.

According to White House deputy press secretary Raj Shah, the investigation into Porter's background never reached completion, and the White House also stated that the first officials heard from the FBI was in July.

“His background investigation was ongoing,” Raj Shah, the deputy White House press secretary, told reporters on Thursday. “He was operating on an interim security clearance. His clearance was never denied, and he resigned.”

Mr. Wray said on Tuesday that while the background investigation was closed in January, the bureau “received some additional information” after the file was closed and passed that on to the White House as well.

Comments