Ex- Pence Adviser Releases Video Condemning Trump's Pandemic Response
Olivia Troye, formerly Vice President Mike Pence’s homeland security and counterterrorism adviser, condemned President Trump’s coronavirus response in a video for Republican Voters Against Trump (RVAT).
- Troye was Pence’s lead staffer on the coronavirus task force and saw the administration’s pandemic response unfold firsthand.
- “From the middle of February, we knew it wasn’t a matter of if COVID would become a big pandemic here in the United States. It was a matter of when," she said in the video.
- “But the president didn’t want to hear that because his biggest concern was that we were in an election year and how was this going to affect what he considered to be his record of success.”
- Troye said it was “shocking to see the president saying the virus was a hoax, saying everything’s okay when we know that it’s not.”
- “The truth is, [Trump] doesn’t actually care about anyone else but himself,” Troye said.
- The former Pence staffer, who resigned two months ago, recalled a statement Trump made that stuck with her: “When we were in a task force meeting, the president said maybe this COVID thing is a good thing. I don’t like shaking hands with people. I don’t have to shake hands with these disgusting people.”
- “Those disgusting people are the same people that he claims to care about,” Troye said. “Those are the people still going to his rallies today who have complete faith in who he is.”
- At a point, Troye said she began questioning if she was making a difference in her role: “No matter how hard you work and what you do, the president is going to do something that is detrimental to keeping Americans safe. … It was awful. It was terrifying.”
- Troye said she has been a Republican her entire life but will be voting for Joe Biden in the 2020 election: “I truly believe we are at a time of constitutional crisis. At this point, it’s country over party.”