Ex-FBI Official Terrorized By Trump Won’t Face Charges Despite Trump's Urging
Former acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe will face no charges for lying to investigators about media disclosures, according to The Washington Post, bringing to an end the investigation into one of the top officials involved in authorizing the obstruction of justice probe into the president.
McCabe had become “the focus of a grand jury probe over allegations from the Justice Department inspector general that he lied to investigators exploring a media disclosure.”
President Donald Trump had pressed for McCabe to face criminal charges, and the Justice Department’s failure to do so will likely draw his ire, The Post noted.
McCabe’s lawyers, Michael R. Bromwich and David Schertler, said in a statement on Friday that the Washington, D.C., U.S. Attorney’s Office called to tell them the case “has been closed.”
“At long last, justice has been done in this matter,” they said. “We said at the outset of the criminal investigation, almost two years ago, that if the facts and the law determined the result, no charges would be brought. We are pleased that Andrew McCabe and his family can go on with their lives without this cloud hanging over them.”
McCabe had been accused of lying at least four time — three of them under oath — about granting permission for a media disclosure in 2016 regarding “tension inside the FBI and Justice Department over the Clinton email case and a separate investigation of the Clinton family foundation.”
The Justice Department authorized prosecutors to seek an indictment last year, but nothing came of the case. The Post reported that it remains unclear precisely what happened, and a spokesman for the D.C. U.S. Attorney’s Office declined to comment.