Ex-Deputy National Security Adv: ‘Donald Trump Is A Threat To National Security’
Ben Rhodes, former Deputy National Security Advisor under President Barack Obama, said during an appearance on MSNBC this week that the buried lede in the story of possible Russian bounties on U.S. troops is that President Trump is a “threat to U.S. national security.”
- Speaking with host Nicole Wallace, Rhodes said he was astonished “that the best defense that this White House can muster is that Donald Trump didn’t read his briefing when we’re not even just talking about the [Presidential Daily Briefing].”
- He also said there was more detailed information in public reporting on the matter than he sometimes experienced in intelligence delivered to Obama.
- Rhodes also noted that reports referenced “the wire,” which means this was intelligence made available to thousands of other people:
“It makes reference to the fact that we have corroborations with financial transfers, it has reference to reports to allies. So, clearly thousands of people have consumed this information, think it’s important, think our troops’ lives may be in danger, and think, frankly, some troops may have been killed based on reports and Donald Trump is doing nothing other than calling this a hoax, lying about whether or not he received this information, and not, you know, being derelict, frankly, in his duty as commander in chief.”
- After Wallace said she believed “the buried lede here is Donald Trump isn’t part of protecting America’s national security,” Rhodes appeared to disagree.
- “Nicole, I think the lede is that Donald Trump is a threat to U.S. national security,” Rhodes offered.
- He also said during the interview that Trump not only failed to take action on the intelligence but also made moves that would benefit Russia, referencing Trump’s desire to invite Russian President Vladimir Putin to the G7 summit and his decision to remove troops from Germany.
“The president of the United States recently announced the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Germany, which makes sense to absolutely no one, except Vladimir Putin, who very much wants to see that happen. So, he’s both putting our troops at risk, and he seems to continue to be pursuing a foreign policy agenda that only makes sense from the perspective of Moscow. That’s just the plain reality of what’s happening, Nicole, that’s staring us in the face. It is deeply, deeply profoundly abnormal.”