Detroit Police SUV Plows Through Protesters, Flings People Off Hood
A police SUV plowed through a group of peaceful protesters in Detroit, hitting multiple people according to the Washington Post.
- The vehicle was surrounded by protesters and began accelerating multiple times to clear the people around it. Each time, protesters were heard screaming in shock and begging the driver to stop as people were being thrown from the hood of the car.
- A protester who filmed the incident, Ethan Ketner, wrote on Facebook:
“Detroit Police Department just ran straight through a bunch of our protesters. Myself and 10-12 others were struck by this reckless driver who somehow has a badge.”
- The Detroit Police Department said in statement to the Detroit News that the driver “tried to escape” the scene after his rear back window was busted out.
In the video that has since gone viral, the car is seen accelerating and braking at least three times, hitting some protesters and sending others scrambling in a panic.
- Jae Bass, one of the protesters sent flying from the hood of the car, said:
“He just floored it. He went super fast. Me and a couple of my other organizers that were with me, just went flinging off. We went flying off. He ran over a couple people’s arms, feet.”
- Tristan Taylor, a protest organizer with Detroit Will Breathe, spoke out about the incident, saying:
“This shows the issues that we have with Detroit police. That’s why we’re marching, because these police feel like their badge gives them the authority to do harm and damage under any circumstances.”