Despite The Shutdown Ending, Trump Is Still Not Permitted To Give His SOTU

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.Screengrab/Washington Post/YouTube
JakeThomas

Prior to the government shutdown’s end, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi suggested President Donald Trump postpone his State of the Union address until the government was reopened, citing security concerns.

But now that Trump has signed a temporary spending bill, putting the federal government back into full swing for three weeks, Pelosi said the address still will not take place on its scheduled date of January 29.

Via USA Today:

"It's not happening on 1/29," said Drew Hammill, a spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

After Trump's announcement of the government reopening, Pelosi told reporters a date would be worked out for the president's address but for the time being, "the state of the union is not planned now."

"What I said to the president is when the government is opened we will discuss a mutually agreeable date," Pelosi said, adding "I'll look forward to doing that" and welcoming Trump in the House chambers when that is done.

Whether or not the parties have met to discuss a new date for the address remains unclear, but Trump previously opted against finding another venue to deliver his speech:

"I could have got to a big auditorium and got 25,000 people in one day and you've been there many times, but I think that would be very disrespectful to the State of the Union, so what she said, I thought was actually reasonable," Trump said. "We'll have the State of the Union when the shutdown is over."

Read more.

Comments

U.S. & Global News

FEATURED
COMMUNITY