As the White House continues its search for a third chief of staff, former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has informed President Donald Trump he does not wish to be considered for the position.
Although it was reported on Friday that former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie was the front runner to be Trump’s next chief of staff, Christie abruptly announced that he was taking himself out of the running.
“I’ve told the president that now is not the right time for me or my family to undertake this serious assignment,” Christie said, in a statement posted by the *New York Times’*Maggie Haberman. “As a result, I have asked him to no longer keep me in any of his considerations for this post.”
RawStory noted that just hours before Christie’s announcement, Washington Post reporter Josh Dawsey had been told the former governor “was a leading contender for chief of staff”.
Christie is the latest of several potential candidates to decline the job — a list that includes Vice President Mike Pence’s chief of staff, along with several of Trump’s cabinet officials.