China’ Ministry of Commerce issued a statement Friday in response to President Donald Trump’s latest tariffs calling upon the world’s countries to join together and “put an end to this outdated and regressive behavior”.
The statement also called the Trump administration “fickle”, according to The Hill, and accused the U.S. of provoking a trade war.
“This move is not only damaging bilateral interests but also undermining the world trade order,” the statement said. “China firmly opposes this.”
The ministry vowed to impose taxation “of the same scale” on the U.S.
“We will immediately introduce taxation measures of the same scale and strength,” the statement said.
China also indicated any progress made between the two countries will be put on hold, saying “economic and trade achievements previously reached by the two parties will no longer be valid at the same time.”
Trump seemed unconcerned about the possibility of a trade war Friday, saying after his 25 percent on an additional $50 billion of Chinese goods went into effect that he has a “great friendship with President Xi of China”.
"Trade between our nations, however, has been very unfair, for a very long time. This situation is no longer sustainable.”
Trump said in the statement that the U.S. would pursue additional tariffs on Chinese goods if China retaliates.