Bolton: Trump’s Advisers Regularly Mocked Him Behind His Back
In his new book, “The Room Where It Happened,” former national security adviser John Bolton discusses instances of President Donald Trump’s incompetency and how his advisers often mocked him behind his back, reported the New York Times.
- This book is the “first tell-all memoir by such a high-ranking official who participated in major foreign policy events and has a lifetime of conservative credentials.”
- Bolton writes in the book that “Mr. Trump did not seem to know... that Britain is a nuclear power and asked if Finland is part of Russia.”
- Furthermore, the Times writes that “during Mr. Trump’s 2018 meeting with North Korea’s leader, according to the book, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo slipped Mr. Bolton a note disparaging the president, saying, ‘He is so full of shit.’”
- Bolton’s book states that “Mr. Pompeo dismissed the president’s North Korea diplomacy, declaring that there was ‘zero probability of success.’”
- Additionally, Bolton claims that intelligence briefings were a waste with Trump, as Trump spoke for the majority of the time rather than listening to the briefers.
- The Times writes that “Mr. Trump said so many things that were wrong or false that Mr. Bolton in the book regularly includes phrases like ‘(the opposite of the truth)’ following some quote from the president.”
- Bolton writes: “His thinking was like an archipelago of dots (like individual real estate deals), leaving the rest of us to discern — or create — policy. That had its pros and cons.”
Although Bolton likely thought that he could manage Trump, “he eventually resigned last September… after they clashed over Iran, North Korea, Ukraine and a peace deal with the Taliban in Afghanistan.”