6 Men Arrested For Alleged Militia Plot To Kidnap MI Governor, Overthrow Gov’t
On Thursday, federal prosecutors announced the arrest of six men who allegedly plotted with a militia group to overthrow the government and kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, according to The Daily Beast.
- The men were arrested on Wednesday after the FBI and Michigan State Police raided a Hartland, Michigan, home.
- Per the affidavit: “Several members talked about murdering ‘tyrants’ or ‘taking’ a sitting governor. The group decided they needed to increase their numbers and encouraged each other to talk to their neighbors and spread their message.”
The individuals named in the complaint include Adam Fox, Barry Croft, Ty Garbin, Kaleb Franks, Daniel Harris, and Brandon Caserta. News of the thwarted plot comes amid an ongoing investigation into the death of a Detroit man who was killed during a FBI shootout.
The affidavit states that through an informant, the FBI became aware that several men, including Croft and Fox, were discussing "the violent overthrow of certain government and law-enforcement components."
- The two men agreed to “unite others in their cause and take violent action against multiple state governments that they believe are violating the U.S. Constitution,” the affidavit says. They also discussed taking Whitmer from one of her homes.
“Snatch and grab, man," Fox allegedly said in a recorded call from Jul 2020. "Grab the fuckin’ Governor. Just grab the bitch. Because at that point, we do that, dude—it’s over."
- The plot was made known to law enforcement when a member of the group became concerned that they planned to “target and kill police officers” and contacted federal authorities. That person became an informant.
- The informant recorded a call in June during which Fox said he needed “200 men” to storm the Capitol building and take hostages before Election Day. Whitmer was to be included, and Fox said she would be tried for “treason.”
- During a subsequent meeting, “Fox allegedly revealed the Michigan State Capitol attack would also include the use of ‘Molotov cocktails’ to destroy police cars,” per The Daily Beast.