What Do Palantir, Facebook, Paypal, And Elon Musk Have In Common?
A few days ago Palantir began trading as a public company. The Big Data company's first weeks will be closely watched as a barometer for direct listings and for the broader tech rally.
You might already know that Palantir has been around for a long time — since 2003. Below is a tangled web of the biggest public tech companies and the man connected to all of them.
- Palantir was founded by Peter Thiel and others in 2003.
- Tesla was founded in 2003. Elon Musk joined the company as Chairman a year later. Musk and Thiel, are of course, connected through PayPal.
- Thiel is an investor in another Musk project: SpaceX. Musk announced his plans to spin off the satellite business within SpaceX called Starlink and to take it public in a few years.
- In 2004 Facebook was founded (Thiel would invest early on and acquire a board seat he still holds).
- One of Facebook cofounders was Dustin Moskovitz, he left Facebook in 2008 to start Asana, which also completed a direct listing recently.
In other Musk news Tesla is getting into the mining business. Actual excavation of the earth for minerals, in this case, the lithium which is the key ingredient in its car batteries.