The Dow Jones Industrial Average, Nasdaq Composite, and S&P 500 posted gains on Thursday.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 305.10 points or 0.90 percent, to close at 34,035.99.
- The S&P 500 gained 45.76 points or 1.11 percent to close at 4,170.42.
- The Nasdaq Composite gained 180.92 points or 1.31 percent to close at 14,038.76.
Stocks surged after better than expected retail sales and unemployment claims.
“Although 34,000 by itself is just another number, this is a monumental feat when you think back to where we were last year at this time,” said Ryan Detrick, chief market strategist at LPL Financial. “The speed and resiliency of this economic recovery is unlike anything we’ve ever seen and it helps to justify stocks at all-time highs.”
On Friday keep an eye out for:
- Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index
- Morgan Stanley, PNC Financial Services Group Inc., State Street Corp., Severstal, and others are reporting earnings.